Monday, November 19, 2007

MySpace Hoax

I highly doubt that anyone who has read about the following case can keep from shaking their heads in disbelief:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21882976/. To me, this case is not simply a sad state of affairs regarding our current judicial system and Internet safety, but also a pathetic commentary on the fact that anonymity online (or trusting the identities of others) is (and perhaps has been) a thing of the past.

Of course, the obvious reaction to this article is, "What was that mother thinking? What adult chooses to intentionally bully a child online?" I also, though, realize that the victim's parents believed they were doing the right thing by requiring their daughter a password-protected account (one only her parents could enter) and monitoring her use. Isn't this what news programs alert parents to? Weren't they doing everything right?

I am not a parent; I have no idea how I would deal with these Internet issues, but like most, I hope I'd make the right decisions. Nevertheless, these technologies that allow for "disguised identities" pose a risk for children and for adults. I believe it comes down to being educated on the dangers and risks, then continuously "checking in" with an adult on the content of what is being shared. I know that many of my students communicate on Facebook and MySpace in ways they would never communicate around their parents or teachers, and while teenagers need an outlet that doesn't involve their moms and dads, it seems unreasonable to allow these conversations to take place completely in secret.

I remember a brochure I was given in my sex ed. class in 6th grade about decision-making. One of the questions you were supposed to ask yourself before participating in sexual activity of any kind was, "Would I feel comfortable telling my grandma I did this?" and for whatever reason, that message stuck with me. Maybe this is a similar question for kids to ask themselves today..."Would I let my grandma read what I'm writing?" I suppose, in the case of the aforementioned story, adults need to ask themselves this question as well.

No comments: