Tuesday, October 30, 2007

New Technology Attempt

My husband is enamored with his Instant Response remotes for student use. As I've outlined in previous blogs, students are able to view a "powerpoint" using Turning Point software and respond to questions on the slides using the "clickers." Class results can be graphed immediately for students to view and teachers are able to address the group's needs and/or unresolved concepts right on the spot. I was excited to try this yesterday in my 7th grade English class. I basically wanted to find out (without giving a quiz or written assessment) how well students had understood the three chapters we'd read the previous week (and determine who had/had not completed the reading!)

This experience started as many of my technology attempts have in the past, with confusion and frustration. I realized that, although a colleague would let me use her LCD projector for the day, I had to rely on my husband to help me get it situated. On top of this, my husband and I quickly determined that my classroom desktop computer did not have Turning Point software, essential to the activity. We quickly unplugged my computer, wheeled it into Brian's room, and hooked up his laptop at a spare table. Finally, all was situated and yet, though he'd helped me create the presentation the night before, I hadn't actually "tried it out." The bell rang, attendance was taken, and I was off and running. What I found upon its onset set my mind at ease.

The technology was actually quite user-friendly. Brian's simple instructions were enough to get me started on my own. The students were enthralled with the idea of using "clickers," so I had a few moments to gather my thoughts before trying it out. These clickers worked like a CHARM. I had every student engaged, asking questions about what we'd read, clapping and celebrating when our class majority had the "right answer." The crowning moment of the day's work happened during my 3rd period class. A student for whom I do not have the greatest affection (and one with whom I've never really connected) gave me a high-five on her way out, stating, "That was a really fun activity, Mrs. Martin."

That, in and of itself, has increased my techonology self-esteem. Hurrah!

No comments: