Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Internet Comic Strips

So, I'm about to embark on my professional development goal for this year's Q-comp, which I've handily tied to technology. My first observation is tomorrow and, while I'm proud to say I've already used a document camera this week to display student work for voting on the Most Creative Monster Poster (a project on complete sentences from Halloween), I am more excited about the prospect of tomorrow's activity.

Students will be practicing dialogue writing and plot sequencing on a website for comic strip creation, www.makebeliefscomix.com, to demonstrate understanding of events read about in our classroom novel, Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule. I like using comic strips for the purpose of practicing dialogue, as spoken words are prevalent. It also occurred to me this year that, when students' final comics are printed out, we could work on sequence of events by arranging the comics in order of appearance from the novel.

In the past, I've had students sketch and color a homemade comic strip for this assignment. This time, I am giving students three choices: a) Use the website I'll be demonstrating in class, b) Use another comic creator tool, such as Comic Life, or c) Create a Homemade Comic if Internet will be hard to access over the weekend. I'm looking forward to the results! I think I especially look forward to helping students troubleshoot the site, as I've never been the "expert" on one before.

I'll post the results of my work on next week's blog. Perhaps I'll be able to include a few examples of student work!

No comments: